How not to waste time
The only thing I have is time. So “how” I spend my time before I die is important.
I’ll live forever
If I were immortal then time would have no consequence. Again I wouldn’t have any real ambition because of unlimited time. Therefore my limited time in this life causes me to work toward a goal before I leave the planet.
When I was 12 years old and began working for money, I never considered being old. Therefore only when you are old or sick do you see how limited your time becomes.
How to spend my time
Each day I make the decision on how I spend my limited time. In other words, if I work for someone else my time belongs to them for about 40 hours a week or more.
Do I want to give my time to someone else, or to me? The answer is obvious, my time belongs to me not someone else.
Rules for Spending My Time
- 2 am start time. 8:30 to 9 PM sleep time
- How I spend my time is related to goals.
- My goals are related to time. So each goal is within a time frame.
- I don’t waste much time on non-productive things, unrelated to my goals.
- Children take up a lot of time, so make sure they are part of your goals.
- business and pleasure
- health time
Time Marches on
The biggest mistake is to think time will stop or is limitless. Therefore with the limited time, I need to decide on the allocation of it. So has to not waste a second of it doing frivolous things that produce little to no results.
My time is broken down to personal and business. Therefore my personal time is related to my children and family members only. I take little to no time doing things like watching movies, and when I do watch a movie it is in some way related to what I am doing in business or with the family.
So every day begins in the early morning where I spend 4 to 5 hours before anyone in the house wakes. This time is used for reading and writing and looking at business investments and future planning.
6:30 am is when the children wake and this time is spent with them for about 1 hour. The rest of my day is broken down to child care and reading, with answering questions related to businesses that are operated by others.
My Typical Day
This is a breakdown of my typical day.
- Rise between 2 am and 3 am every day
- Coffee, read, write and look at the numbered for all businesses until 6:30 am
- 8:30 am to 8 am have breakfast and time with family.
- 8:30 and 9:15 walk with the youngest son in the park
- 9:15 to 11:15, spend time with baby son and work in iPad with businessrelated issues
- 11:15 cook lunch for the family and eat until 1 PM
- 1 PM, stay with the baby son until he falls asleep and work using ipad
- 3 PM take both sons for a ride along the ocean and a walk somewhere or play with them in the back yard.
- 5 PM Back to work in my office until 7:30
- 8:30 to 9 PM back to sleep
My weekend is not the same since more time is spent with my family but I still maintain the same regimen every day from 2 am until everyone wakes until 6:30 am. That’s 7 days a week 365 days a year.
I try not to waste time because it moves too fast. Therefore I can never make up for my lost time.
When I worked for others, I gave up most of my weekly awake time. So early on I decided I would allocate my time and not someone else.
Sleeping 5 hours a night gives me 19 hours a day. Therefore if I slept 7 hours I would lose 365 X 2hours a day sleeping or 730 to 800 hours a year sleeping. Divide that by 24 hours in a day and you get between 30 to 33 days of sleep time. Therefore this means I save one month of awake time every year.
So over 12 years, I will have had 1 full year more to work when everyone else is sleeping.
I never know when my time will end and neither do you. So don’t waste in on foolish people and doing nonproductive foolish things. You have limited time, spend it wisely.
Mike Addis, Carlsbad California, all rights reserved.